Mentor Checklist (Fall Semester)
- Read and comply with all requirements outlined in the Student Protection Plan
- Register online
- Complete Required Clearances for working with minors
- Block off Time for January through early April
Mentor Checklist (Spring Semester)
- Attend team meetings and establish a team structure that encourages full participation.
- Monitor the teams in setting and completing objectives (see below section on “setting goals”)
- Monitor the teams with fund-raising efforts
- Monitor the teams with budget preparation and following of the same
- Monitor the teams with ordering parts
- Ensure participation safety at all times
- Set up monthly skype sessions if you are unable to visit the classroom
- Test team robotics prior to Challenge Day
- Attend Challenge Day with team(s)
Sea, Air and Land Team Structure
Teams should be made up of 5 to 10 high school students per team and are required to assign at least one educator and one industry mentor. School districts can enter as many teams as they wish. Home-schooled teams and organizations are also welcome.
Clearances, Background Check, and Mandated Reporter Training
The state in which you live will dictate which clearances are required for working with minors. Training Manuals for Clearances can be found at
Sea, Air and Land Challenge staff training and expectations have always included an ‘above-and-beyond’ effort to educate mentors and educators about daily processes, student safety protocols, and methods to establish successful learning environments.
We at Sea, Air and Land Challenge are always striving to uphold the highest level of excellence when it comes to providing a safe, creative, and immersive learning experience for all participants.